A Fall Fairy pt. 1 – BJD Sewing Adventure

It’s the first of October, and Texas finally seems to be cooperating on weather. It was actually nice outsite. Meaning it wasn’t 90 degrees. It wont be great for me until it doesn’t get any high than 70 at the height of the day. I thrive on the cold, guys. It’s in my blood. But that’s besides the point.

So this afternoon, I decided to join in on a thread on Den of Angels called Wearables Sewing Project. It’s a monthly challenge with a specific theme, and participants have to create an outfit for their doll(s) revolving around that theme. This month the theme is “Seasonal”, which is perfect for me. Fall, my favorite season, is just around the corner. (Techinically it’s already started, but again, this is Texas, and Texas doesn’t like letting go of it’s last grip on summer)

I toyed around with the idea of an original design but figured I needed a bit of brain break and decided to recreate a doll sized version of a dress made by Angela Clayton, which is below, along with a link to her blog.


God, it’s gorgeous, isn’t it? I’m basically going through her posts about it trying to recreate it as best I can, considering the circumstances. Mainly being, I don’t have my doll and I can only go off of a few questionable measurements provided by the company. But let’s give it a shot.

I started off with the 3/4 circle skirt pattern.  It’d be easy, I told myself. There’s calculators all over the internet.
Except these tools are made specifically for human sized dimensions or require more math than I’m willing to remember. I had nearly lost hope, until I stumbled across this post: Click me, I’ll save your life

Oh my god. That makes it a million times more simple, doesn’t it? Does it work, I have no idea. But I’m willing to give it a shot. After plugging in all the numbers and drawing it out, I was left with this.

circle skirt

Fingers crossed it works. I’d rather work on corset patterns all day than deal with the math involved with circle skirts. Which, incidentally, was the next step.
Now unfortunately I can’t remember where I found this SD sized corset pattern, so I can’t help you there. Fear not, once I get my girl, I’ll be posting every pattern I make for her on this blog so hopefully no other doll-less BJD hobbyists have to suffer as I am now. -single tear-
Anyway, back to business. I drew a line along each piece of the pattern where I believed the bust line to be and measured each line.


The total came out to 13.4 cm, which doubled is 26.8. Supposedly her bust is 25.5, so I decided to take nearly 1 cm off of the center back panel since it seems to oddly wide. I’m taking more than needed since I’ll be lacing the corset and I’d rather it be too small than too big.
After that I pulled up a full body image of the doll and used some frankly questionable methods to decide how long I wanted to corset to be.

I put some paper up to my screen and made small tick marks on the side, marking the length of her shoulder to her wrist joint. Why? Because according to the site, the length of that should be 16cm. So by using those two marks, I should be able to get a relative scale comparison of how far it is from her largest point of her bust (around the nipple area) to where I wanted the corset to end (the smallest point of her waist). I guesstimated about a third of the original 16cm was what I wanted, so I went with 6.5cm. I then measured that down from the original bust mark I made and penned in another set of lines.


I measured those lines as well and added them up and multiplied by 2. The sum was 23.2. Supposedly her waist is 14.5cm, so this is much, much too big. So I got to work trimming each part down, while hopefully still retaining the original shape. I decided to leave the center front and side front pieces alone, since they had such distinct curves, and focused most of the work on the side back and center back pieces.
Here’s the final product, including the bits I snipped off.20151001_202143

I wont go into how I decided how much to trim off of each part. The math is fiddly and obnoxious, frankly.

With that done, I decided to change the neckline into a more interesting shape, which was a simple task.


And with that, my patterns were done! Well, as done as they could ever be. I’m hoping materials wont cost me much in the case this doesn’t fit my girl in the least. Fingers crossed though.



One thought on “A Fall Fairy pt. 1 – BJD Sewing Adventure

  1. I thought Rhonda’s tutorial on the circle skirt was great. For some reason I had problems with the calculators. Hope your project turns out!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s